Internship Opportunities at the University of Iowa Press
Internships at the University of Iowa Press
The University of Iowa Press publishes approximately 35-40 titles per year on a wide array of topics in the humanities, from midwestern history and natural history to poetics, fandom, agriculture, book history, literary criticism, and theatre history. We publish poetry, short fiction, and creative nonfiction through prizes judged by the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and the University of Iowa’s nonfiction writing MFA program.
Interns perform a range of entry-level responsibilities that familiarize them with publishing processes and skills. They work primarily for the acquisitions and manuscript editorial departments, with occasional tasks assigned by the director, the design and production manager, and the marketing manager. While contributing to the press’s daily tasks, interns will learn the basics of copyright law and book contracts, and they will gain an overall understanding of the publishing industry. Our interns have gone on to get editorial jobs at the University of Chicago Press, the University of Michigan Press, the University of Minnesota Press, the American Journal of Gastroenterology, and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
We offer three undergraduate internships every year, two during the academic year and one during the summer. These positions are unpaid. However, University of Iowa students may arrange to receive course credit through the English Department.
Academic year internships
These internships are open to University of Iowa undergraduates only. We will announce the application period in March each year. We welcome applications from all interested students, with a preference for those who want to work in publishing after graduation. We expect interns to work onsite in our offices about 10 to 12 hours per week, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
This internship is open to all undergraduates, with a preference for those who want to work in publishing after graduation. We will announce the application period in January each year. We expect interns to work onsite in our offices 15 to 20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
- Research prospective authors
- Evaluate proposals and manuscripts
- Research peer reviewers and mail manuscripts and paperwork to reviewers
- Prepare editorial board packets
- Prepare manuscripts for transmittal to managing editor, including checking the formatting and organization; checking the permissions; checking image quality; and corresponding with authors to resolve problems
- Prepare launch forms and assist at launch meetings
- Update complimentary copies spreadsheet
- Assist in procuring blurbs
- Write rejection letters
- Assist in developing profit and loss statements
- Proofread and help with mailings as needed
- Assist with copyediting and proofreading of manuscripts and marketing materials
- Prepare files for design transmittal
- Proofread, fact check, and check revisions against proof pages
- Manage lists of books in print and books in series
- Prepare and submit CIP applications
- Assist with photo research
- Manage database of freelancers
Sales and Marketing
- Oversee awards submissions and tracking
- Write author alumni notifications of publication
- Assist with preparation for exhibits (pulling/ordering books, working at local shows like the Iowa City Book Festival, etc.).
- Research marketing and course adoption possibilities
- Proof e-books against printed text
- Create folders for new book projects
- File project materials and help maintain the filing system
- Assist with mailing royalty statements and holiday cards